Big Island Chapter Meeting
We want to help other family business owners get past the challenges that put personal relationships between family members and the business at risk. Our panel members have agreed to talk about the realities of running a family business and the issues that they have had to deal with. They want to inform attendees that they aren’t the only ones who have had to address difficult, potentially emotionally taxing situations.
NO HOLDS BARRED will be a rambling discussion with family business leaders who have agreed to share their thoughts on a wide range of family business issues that may include questions such as:
- How do you handle conflict among the owners?
- Do you have a board of directors? If so, do you have outside directors? What do you like or dislike about that?
- If you do not have outside directors, is there a reason why? Would you consider outside directors? Why or Why not?
- Have you had to tell a family member, who works for the company, that their performance is not up to expectation? Did they improve their performance?
- Have you ever had to fire a family member? In hind sight, would you have done anything differently?
- Is what you do a ‘calling’ or a career?
- For Next Gen, what is the one thing that you would change about the business if you could do so?
- For 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation owners, what is it that you wish you had known before you agreed to step into the family business?
Agreeing to participate on the panel are Chris Iwamura of Rainbow Drive-In, Wayne Kamitaki of HouseMart, and Chuck Kelley of Seaside Ohana Investments. We really appreciate their willingness to share their thoughts and experiences with us.